Honda case study
TDG, now part of Norbert Dentressangle, selected TMS2 to develop a real-time load tracking system to support their contract with the UK manufacturing arm of Honda Motor Company.
The contract between TDG and Honda involved the movement of component parts from suppliers either directly to the Swindon car manufacturing facility or to an interim stage warehouse. Typically this involved thirty vehicles making sixty collections and deliveries per day.
TDG's primary requirement was to provide live status information to their customer and collection points and monitor the actual performance for the fleet. This functionality was provided as a bespoke development operating as an additional element of the 'standard' functionality of the TMS2 Transport Management System.
The web-based real-time tracking system, incorporating online vehicle tracking, was designed to monitor the arrival and departure time of vehicles at each collection or delivery point as signaled by the driver using a barcode scanner to scan the load manifest, along with an additional barcode providing the status of that collection/delivery.
A status screen was developed (Load Status View) providing three separate groups of users (TDG Transport Management, Honda Parts Control and Component Suppliers) with a real-time view of the status of the collection/delivery.
In addition, TDG used the elements of the standard TMS2 system including CANbus based driver performance data, driver ID, and combined 2-way messaging system and SatNav functionality.
Secure user access to the system was provided with differing levels of data visibility for each user category.
The system was delivered complete and on time with all the required functionality including:
- Seamless Daily Plan input from TDG into the TMS2 system.
- Standalone Load Status View screen with multiple lookup capabilities.
- Provision of ETA (estimated time of arrival).
- Automatic detection of collection/delivery status utilising both geofence and barcode scanners.
- Route details - driver, vehicle, trailer, manifest, ASN number, ETA, and colour coded status using a RAG approach for each load.
- Facility for supervisors to manually edit the Load Status Screens and add Reason Codes as necessary.
- Two way messaging between TDG, driver and Honda.